Saturday 29 December 2018

Uber Water

You'd think that over the years access to the forest would have increased, and in respect to numbers it has, though I really mean more in regards to accessibility. Over the years I've seen numerous paths and routes disappear, bridges decay never to be replaced, even actively removed, allowing routes to become forgotten and favourite spots left abandoned. Take this stretch of Uber Water, below Markway Bridge, I remember a small narrow footbridge being here for ever, it fell into ruin and that was that, there may even have been two. I've wondered why that would be, it happened all over the forest about 20 years ago, bridges, car parks, and access gates, all disappeared. I suppose it could have been some conservation plan, though all it's done is create over used 'honey pots' where more folk have been concentrated into fewer car parks and onto walks. Or, it could be that there were just too many things to keep maintained in our modern asset stripped country. I may look into it, or more likely forget, until the next time I remember something that's no longer there whilst out walking. For me, I still visit the spots and walk the same paths I've walked for decades, paths don't need to be marked to exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment