Saturday 8 December 2018

Cold lesson

I made a rookie error today, especially for someone who has spent the majority of his life living on the coast. I didn't check the tides. Rookie, mistake, man. I'd planned to take harbour side route out round Hengistbury Head, and was pledged to my path by the time it disappeared into the harbour, even the bridges (whose position was marked by their balusters) were under water. The water looked shallow, and there grassy island dotted about, so I though carry on regardless. For the most part the water was shallow-ish though reaching mid shins at points, and at first I thought the waters were quite bracing, that swiftly shifted to cold, soon becoming painful, I was committed by now, the prospect of going back less appealing that soldiering on. Moving through the water as quickly as I could without ending up in a deeper hollow or such, I rested on the grassy islets, when I could to allow my feet to warm (warm not really being what they became, just less cold). It was worth it though, just to have done it, the near empty sands of Mudeford spit were a bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment