Sunday 11 January 2015

Purbeck Sika

Fading in and out of view with ease, this Sika Deer (Cervus nippon) is perfectly camouflaged to disappear even in the openness of a bare Norden Wood.  It's only his movement that gives him away; if he hadn't moved we'd have passed by unawares. He watches us wearily as we move through his wood. It's a private wood but still has a well defined and well trodden path running through it, it's a lovely forbidden path. Whilst walking this path, as I have so many times, I wonder how I'd placate the landowner/gamekeeper/or whoever if rumbled.  I'd apologize of course, maybe add the woods beauty as mitigation for my trespass, you know, what could I do? Then I wondered if they'd go for a proposition of me doing so many hours helping in the wood as trade for access through the wood. That could be a trade that would benefit both landowner and walker alike. Though today was not the day and we moved through Norden Wood and up onto an open and exposed West Hill un-accosted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment