Saturday 24 January 2015

Gad Cliff

The under cliff and shoreline below Gad Cliff have always held a certain allure and mystique for me. I've always wanted to explore them. Deep within the ranges and difficult to access, with signs telling you there is no access beyond this point, it's always appeared off limits. Years ago we were even hailed by a military helicopter and told to leave after passing the first Danger sign, admittedly the range was in use. I say in use, we didn't hear anything, but Monday to Friday afternoon the land within the range is closed to the public. Even if it were open, access around the shoreline from Kimmeridge is precarious, with the chance of being cut off by the tides in Brandy or Hobarrow Bays. You can get to the under cliff from the base of Tyneham Cap, but that too is precarious, this time due to a shifting land surface of Kimmeridge Clay.  So, we've never walked here. Today though that changed as I ventured around the coast, past the signs and into new territory. We'd gone as far as Brandy Bay before and up the slides to Tyneham Cap, but no further. I've decided to walk out along the beach and return along the higher under cliff. Care is required. The beach is strewn with rocks of all shapes and sizes set amongst the odd clay slide. There is no direct simple track, it's all climbing and jumping or more like scrambling and slipping. As I walk I look up and wonder at the new views, new perspectives. It feels so wild, so open and empty. I'm feeling naughty, a transgressor and wonder if my progress is being watched. It is, but not by people, as far as I'm aware anyway. Deer run in groups along their thin trails directly under the cliff up above me were the under cliff begins its sweep down towards the sea. More Sika Deer than I have ever seen in Purbeck, 50 plus. They watch me closely, I can't imagine they see many people, not along here. I don't see a single human foot print anywhere along the beach. I don't make it all the way to the end, about 2/3rds of the way along I turn back, saving the rest for another walk. I return along the under cliff. The under cliff is all rough grass and stumpy wind bent shrubs, with some bigger trees forming a wood at the Brandy bay end. The ground is soft in some places and covered in fissure in others. You could do an ankle if not careful. There are no paths beyond Deer trails on the under cliff; it's all hard going. But so beautiful, so wild. I stumble on through spiky shrub and razor sharp bramble. Occasionally I pause at a notable sized boulder to climb up and take a look about, before soldiering on towards the wood. Walking/climbing though the woodland above Brandy Bay, it's clear this is where the Deer hang out, the ground is churned by their hooves and you can smell them. Then, finally I emerge out of the slides at the base of Tyneham Cap. What a fantastic walk. Gad under cliff and beach were every bit as cool to explore as I though they'd be. I felt more in nature today than I can remember, and I always feel at one with nature. It just felt so wild, so untouched and so isolated. I didn't see a human foot print anywhere, not a one. There's still plenty to explore too, and I look forward to more walks here. Now though, the steep climb to Townley Shentons seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment