Sunday 16 March 2014

South Egliston

I've looked down on ruins South Egliston, from the ridge of the hills which surround Kimmeridge, for over 20 years and wondered what they might be like; shrouded by trees, even in the winter it's hard to get a clear impression.  Seconded during World War Two as part of the militarys' preparations for D Day, they still remain inside the range boundaries controlled by the army.  Although, it's unlikely being so close to Kimmeridge Village that many rounds were fired in its vicinity; the areas inclusion in the range, I feel, was more for safety in case of overshoot. Today curiosity got the better and a recon mission was undertaken, down the hillside and across the fields we went, towards the woods and buildings of South Egliston; crossing the fields was undertaken at speed, aware that the ranges are off limits. I don't really know what I expected to find, although I wouldn't have been surprised to find similar remains to those of the Tyneham valley; shells of former buildings, nothing more. Some of the outer buildings were indeed mere crumbling shells. Though, what I found in the main buildings was a surprise and had me exited like a child.  As we entered the woodland it was clear that the buildings had not suffered the same damage during or after the war as Tyneham valley.  It looks like the building were evacuated in 1943 and just left, 70 years of abandonment, neglect and the elements have certainly taken their toll and what remains are building with collapsing roofs and floors; no longer inhabitable but not yet mere shells with doors, fireplaces and other fittings still in situ.  If only I had ventured down to South Egliston 20 years ago, what would I have found then? I should imagine then the building would have still have had all their roofs and floors at least.  As this mission was merely for recon purposes I took a quick look about some of the main house and some of the other buildings, but it was only a quick look.  What I gathered was that the main house would have been quiet posh, most of the other buildings I looked at from a distance.  It must have been an idyllic place to live.  There is little to nothing about the site online and so I'll return soon for a deeper, fuller investigation and to create a visual record of what remains before it's all gone.

1 comment:

  1. Great to see the former main house at Egliston - would it be possible for the dedicated Tyneham website to include the pictures on their South Egliston House page at http://www.tynehamopc.org.uk/off-limits/south-egliston/south-egliston-house with full credits and a link back to your blog?

    ReplyDelete