Friday 7 March 2014

Clearbury

A skeletal Clearbury, trees still bare and undergrowth subdued, allows for a better view and understanding of this hillfort, its structure, design and features, as well as an rough assessment of the condition of its remains. Conditions, I'd say were rather good. The defencive banks and ditches remain substantial, for the most part, and the interior although wooded with neglected coppice, appears to be level and unchanged from the period of occupation 2000 years past; I didn't explore the interior, I shouldn't have been on the banks as it was and as there were signs of pheasant rearing within, I thought it best not to test my luck and just enjoy some time taking in the ambiance sat on the inner rampart. If it were not for the pheasant feeder, I'd note this site as a good wild camping prospect, as at Buckland Rings, but with far superior views over chalk downs and as far as the sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment