Saturday 28 September 2024

Spread thin

 
If we thought that Last weeks' flush of Ceps (boletus edulis) marked the burgeoning of the mushroom season we were way off. Since the little haul I recently collected, they've been scarce, to say the least. This mauled fellow is the only Cep I've spotted since; and I've been looking. So it's back to the default position, a waiting game with no guarantee of success. A game influenced by factors understood and factors beyond our understanding or most likely a combination of both.  Even with the requisite skills we're in the hands of the fates and nature when out foraging.

1 comment:

  1. This is very interesting. I had high hopes for the cep this seaon in the NF and expected a good flush after the first big September rains. Whilst there's been some good hauls of other species, my usual spots have produced almost no edulis so far, in fact there's been a dearth of boletus species as a whole.

    ReplyDelete