Saturday 20 January 2024

The Light and Darkness War by Tom Veitch and Cam Kennedy

 
I've been after reading this for years, The Light and Darkness War by Tom Veitch and Cam Kennedy. Way back in the late 80's I read the first issue (1of 6), though subsequent issues alluded me, I've always kept my eye for those other issues. I was initially drawn by the Cam Kennedys' art work; Kennedy was a favourite of mine from Legendary British Scifi comic 2000AD, particularly his work on 'The VC's' and 'Rogue Trooper', and Veitchs' story immediately captured my imagination.  Until recently I'd been completely unaware that Titan had released a collected edition in 2015, sumptuous it is too, hardback, with plenty of extras. Lazarus Jones, a door gunner on a slick over Vietnam, had lost his legs in an explosion that took the lives comrades. Years of PTSD, alcohol and drug abuse lead him to wish he'd died with his friends. Returning from a visit to Vietnam Veterans Memorial wall Jones is involved in car crash that leaves him in a coma, transporting him to a dimension where his friends are alive and fighting for light in an eternal battle with all consuming darkness. A timeless theme cleverly re-imagined, and much more too, delivered through gritty and direct art, and well written characters. I wasn't disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment