Monday 16 October 2023

Juniper

 
I walk a lot, over a wide range which takes in a variety of environments, and I only know of a handful of wild Juniper trees (Juniperus communis). I understand this native tree used to be more common, though in recent decades they've seen a marked decline ascribed to over browsing by wildlife and disease. I've watched this particular tree struggle for over a decade, holding on as it is in the most difficult circumstances, and although it's in decline, and continually threatened by erosion, it still endures. A female tree with numerous berries on it. Here's the thing, I only know of this juniper in the area, but juniper are dioecious, single sex trees which are wind pollinated; which means there must be a male tree somewhere. I don't know how far pollen travels on the wind? Can't be that far can it?

No comments:

Post a Comment