Wednesday 21 June 2023

Rise and shine

Badbury Rings, a venerable Iron Age citadel of the Durotriges, the 'Celtic' tribe of our region; and the perfect place to welcome in the Summer Solstice sunrise. Parking off the Beech lined Blandford Road we followed a track up towards Badbury as the eastward horizon took on a subtle peach hue. The sun was coming. Scaling the inner rampart, the highest one, we took up a familiar position, one we'd occupied several times previously; we weren't alone, around the ramparts a number of people were waiting for the Sun to rise too. I took time to ground myself, to focus on my breathing, as I cleared my mind and shifted my inner focus from the mundane to the significance of the moment. The Oak King's time has come, the land is burgeoning, the Goddess is flourishing, and the Horned God's work is done; the Holly King now takes the throne and oversees our slow return towards darkness. I seem always to be taken by surprise at the speed at which the sun breaks cover, and marvelled at it's ascent. Nearby a group of women began to chant, allowing me to run some Awens without feeling too self conscious; I drank in the atmosphere. What a sensational Solstice sunrise.  Solstice blessings y'all /|\

No comments:

Post a Comment