Wednesday 3 November 2021

Gigless

After spending time with family and friends, what I've missed most over the last 18 months of covid weirdness is going out to gigs. I love live music, always have from my first gig at Bournemouth's Stateside, the Two Tone Tour in 1979 (The Specials, The Selecter, Madness). There's something about being in those communal spaces, being moved by the performances, experiencing the event in a very personal individual way, yet being connected to the others in the room and making it a shared experience too. I love that energy, it feeds something in me...maybe I'm a Colin Robinson? I think though like walking the wild places or sitting around a fire, a good gig resonates with something deep within us, triggering ancestral memory maybe...communal events with music go as far back as we do. I was watching a Cary Grace Band gig from 2018 at the King Arthur, it reminded me of the joy afforded by quality live music. What a top gig. That's what I miss bands like the Cary Grace Band giving stellar performances in intimate venues like the King Arthur. You can't beat that shit. On the 'Arthur'; discovering the King Arthur was like finding a rare treasure, a warm and welcoming establishment with a constant stream of quality performers plying their art, we've enjoyed so many fine evening there. I can't wait to attend to live performances again. As it happens it was a Cary gig that was my last gig before covid, also in Glastonbury, though this time at the larger Assembly rooms...another stellar gig (where's that post?).

No comments:

Post a Comment