Friday 15 May 2020

Cary Grace 'Covers Vol 1'

We arrived hope from our morning walk to find a delivery. Oh, happy day.  It was my copy of Cary Grace's fabulous 'Covers Vol.1'. I'd missed the initial release and due to licensing laws the tracks weren't available as a download or to listen to, other than the tracks I'd heard Cary perform live I could  only imagine what they sounded like. Now, I thought I had a good imagination, though clearly not, as Cary's interpretations of some hefty classics by the likes of Dylan and the Stones easily exceeded my already high expectations. I imagine covering other artists work must be trepidatious, so undertaking a whole album of covers must take bravery (more so than Ulysses maybe), though Cary appears to have taken it in her stride. The interpretations go well beyond simple covers, Cary's taken some well established and much loved classics and imbued them with that Cary Grace magic, and the results speak for themselves, she's made each track her own. What an excellent album, throughout the quality and production values are consistently superb, kudos must go to Cary et al for their always immutable high calibre performances. It's impossible for me to single out one track as a favourite, which ever one I'm listening to at any moment is my favourite. That said, the Bowie covers are really quite sublime, especially 'Queen Bitch' with it's dope New York proto punk aesthetic, but then there's the divine 'Black Country Rock', and hey, both Floyd tracks are truly something else.....see what I mean, impossible to choose. Being a multidiscipline artist Cary's attention to detail is immaculate, the CD, inner and sleeve all nicely mimicking a vinyl album, the lovely touch of a hand written thank you, all beautifully packaged in white and black tissue and housed in a tidy black cardboard box, with a hand drawn spaceship on the front. Pure class, man, and a pleasure in itself, even before you hear the music. I reckon these'll sell out quick, they did the first time! So don't hang about. Go here, buy one.          

No comments:

Post a Comment