Saturday 15 February 2020

Finally fallen

There was a tree which had stood at a 30 degree angle over Highland Water for 25 years or more. Over those long years we watched it slowly decaying, all it's boughs and branches had gone, though it remain steadfast and solid. When passing I'd test it, pushing and pulling at the trunk setting up a rhythm which would vibrate it to it's tip, and as I'd walk off secure in the knowledge it endured, I turn to watch the tip of the truck wave us off. Today I found it destroyed, not directly through the elements, though through the agency of those elements. In the recent strong winds an adjacent tree had lost a main bough and crushed the old veteran, sending it shattered to the ground. Having a look at the old fellows timber, I'm certain it would have endured for several more years without the other trees intervention. Sneaky winds, could take him on their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment