Monday 5 August 2019

Tales from the river bank

Even though I'd already been out walking with Geoff, I had to get out today, it was one of those days. So I made my way out into the forest to meditate for a while. Out to a spot where I knew I'd be alone, a section of Black Water along which I'd never seen another soul. Of course, there are probably dozens of others who think the same way as I do about that section of stream. It turned out to be a strange retreat. Firstly, I'd settled down on the streams exposed gravel, with the water slowly flowing through a greatly reduced channel in front of me, and the gently swaying surrounding canopy casting a wonderful dappled light, I was drifting off when a stone hit loudly on the gravel next to me. It was as if it were thrown from the opposite bank? I stood up and surveyed my surroundings for a few minutes, though could see nor hear anyone. Very strange, I still can't fathom what that was about. Anyway, I settled back down, closed my eyes and began to focus on my breathing, the woodland was quiet and the air still and warm, it was just what was needed, soon I was melting into the woodland and feeling all the better for it. Suddenly I became aware of a dog approaching through the woodland behind me, it sounded almost upon me, having hounds you become attuned to their sounds and this one was snuffling through the undergrowth, a sound I'm familiar with from Geoff (and Norris before him). The only thing is, there was no dog in sight, I got up expecting to see an approaching walker and dog, though nothing. After a couple of minutes scanning, feeling slightly perturbed (although not too much, the forest is a strange place), I led back down and returned to my meditation, soon melting back into the woods again.  A few minutes later the same thing happened, the sound of a snuffling hound right behind me. This time I got up and wandered about for a good look, still nothing, no sight, no sound. Weird. That pretty much curtailed my meditating, I merely sat taking in the woodland, it was suffice, and was disturbed by spectral happening no more. I wonder when things like this happen (and they do more often that you'd think), whether I'm hearing memories held by the land. The woods can be weird, or maybe it's just me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment