Thursday 22 August 2019

Graffiti

I love a bit of stumbled upon art, and I love a bit of graffiti too, this morning I was able to combine the two. We stumbled upon a long piece of graffiti featuring stylised birds and flowing shapes in the underpass between Spaniards Hole and Whitley Wood. My first response was 'nice', my second was how much it reminded me of Barclay James Harvest's 1971 'Once Again' album cover. It's the lines and form, as well as to a lesser degree the colours used. It's a nice piece which brings life to the underpasses lifeless drab concrete, and there's the rub, for me.  There was clearly more graffiti by the same artist on the opposite wall which had been daubed over in white by the art police, it was still visible through the wash...and I thought, why do they bother? If it's not obscene or offensive, why not leave it, it brightens a dull concrete feature, and it enhances your walking experience...surely no one can be offended or angered by that.  More now than ever, the world needs art.  

No comments:

Post a Comment