Friday 5 July 2019

Ladybirds

This year we’ve had a deluge of aphids, they covered everything, our hazel trees, cherry trees, elder, fennel, very few plants escaped their attention. Of course the ants who farm them were happy, plenty of sweet goo. Always a bummer for a gardener though. I suppose everything has its place and purpose in nature and as a consequence of the aphid invasion the garden became incredibly attractive to ladybirds, we had dozens of them, subsequently the shrubs were covered in eggs and then larvae.  Sadly most, if not all, appeared to be Harlequins or Asian Ladybirds (Harmonia axyridis), highly invasive, they carry parasites that they're immune to, they're detrimental to our indigenous ladybirds, and I understand they bite people too! Crazy.  Most of the pupa have hatched now and the last few new ladybirds have taken flight. I'll admit I find it quite confusing emotionally, I love seeing bugs and groovy insects, but these aren't indigenous, I know they spell the end of our traditional ladybirds and I have no idea of the knock on effect that may have. And I have to wonder, is this just species evolution or have we caused this situation? I think I think too much, man.

No comments:

Post a Comment