Saturday 27 April 2019

Turning the wheel

I was out in Burley Old this morning, and thought with Beltane approaching I would leave another note at the site I believe to be used by pagans to celebrate the turning wheel of the year. I'd seen seed left as an offering back at Imbolc, and I'd left a note below their wooden offering platter just before the Spring Equinox, wishing them blessings. The Equinox passed, and there was no sign of activity, the enclosure had become dishevelled, and my note remained unread. I'd thought to leave a note of Beltane blessings today, though on my approach I could see the site had been renewed and fresh offerings of seed had been left. I'd missed them again. I imagine as I was attending the Clan of the Pheryllt's ritual, about a mile away, this site saw a ritual too. I  noted that Imbolc and Beltane were marked, though not the Equinox, it'll be interesting to see if the Summer Solstice is marked, or whether it's just the greater Sabbats. I'm going to leave another note for Solstice, and got to wondering how many other groups or individuals are out in the woods, communing with the spirits of nature and our ancestors in this church not made by hands. Anyway, I looked under the platter to find my note had gone, and had been replaced by a pound coin. Bless them, my blessings come for free though, and I now feel awkward and in a quandary as whether to take the coin or leave it.

No comments:

Post a Comment