Monday 11 January 2016

One to beam up.




I wasn't a David Bowie mega fan or aficionado by any stretch, though his music has always been there in the soundtrack to my life, with the album above being in my 10 albums to take to my desert island or off into space.  Bowie first came to my attention in the late 70's (although I was vaguely aware of him prior, not for his music more for his image) as the mum of a school friend (Greg) had an extensive album collection of his, she was an aficionado. I remember Gregs house was not to far from school and we'd frequently skive off, return to his and listen to Bowie amongst others. I remember being taken by the imagery on the covers as well as the music, I didn't understand why, but I understood that Bowie was different. I love his voice and his lyrical artistry, and that ability to exist just beyond the bleeding edge, ever evolving, changing and to do so with such confidence and finesse; puts me in mind of these Todd lyrics ''Some people don't seem real at all. Unafraid of any mountain. Sure that the gods won't let him fall. Should he fall, he will always get up again.'', seems rather appropriate for an artist so willing to explore and embrace change. Listening to 6music today, it was amazing how many outstanding songs he wrote, in so many different styles and how influential he and his work are. As well as how many snippets of his lyrics I know.  Music will always be richer for him and his contribution.

No comments:

Post a Comment