Sunday 6 September 2015

Ringstead

So he climbed a high hill and he looked out to sea.
And he heard a voice calling out softly to him.
Open your heart boy for it needs to be free.
And the next time you're crying come running to me.  
(Elation by The Levellers)

I remember first hearing what was to become my favourite Levellers song, Elation.  Feeling as I do about nature and following my pagan path the songs lyrics resonated and moved me. I understood. Nowadays it's common place to hear nature, her wooded dells, rolling hills, rugged coasts and wilder places referred to as 'green prozac' alluding to the healing properties found in embracing and immersing yourself in nature. I can certainly attest to its positive effects. When I walk with nature the treacly malaise which so afflicts me these days and through which I struggle to retain me dissipates, the grey clouds lift, the air clean and fresh fills my lungs and I feel free. I am indeed elated. I feel empowered, my head is cleared of all the worries and negativities which dog me. I resolve to fight the demons and doubts that plague me, I know that many are real, although I'm also aware that many of them are not and are more akin to the windmills at which Don Quixotic tilted; conjured from the minds of those who feel outside, downtrodden or disenfranchised on the fringes of hopelessness. I really mean it too, if only I could hold on to that found positivity on my return. Though sadly no. To say I love these wild places and how they make me feel would not be too strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment