Tuesday 1 September 2015

Dr Who?

I stumbled across an intriguing piece of graffiti this afternoon. Barely legible on a venerable old Beech in Burly Old enclosure was carved 'Dr K Cor????, 218 BTY. RA. I know looking at the photo you'd think 'yeah really?' but faded by time as it is, that what was carved. The graffiti I reckon is Second World War in date (there are several other wartime pieces in the Burly Old, although most if not all are American) the 218 BTY. is surely 218th Battery and the RA must then be Royal Artillery; so checked out any wartime activities of that group locally. I discovered that the 218th Battery of the Royal Artillery was an anti aircraft battery stationed at one point around Southampton during World War Two; that would appear to fit. As for Dr K whatever, that in will no doubt be added to my growing list of the unanswered. Another piece of half explained historical graffiti.

No comments:

Post a Comment