Wednesday 18 June 2014

Fire starting practice

I thought I'd do fire starting practice. So whilst out walking I collected the components; papery and resinous Birch bark, dried matter, in this case Fern and small Birch kindling sticks. Laid them out, hit the stop watch, 2 minutes 10 seconds later I had fire. Easy to do when the weathers good, materials are well dried and you've a reliable strike; not so easy in winter or the rain or wind. I practice then too, but I don't practice this and other skill regularly enough. I think everybody should be schooled in basic bushcraft/survival skills and everybody should practice those skills regularly. When I think how removed we've become from our natural environment and how many fundamental skills we either never learnt or have forgotten, how many everyday practices are lost, it's quite scary. Even going back fifty or a hundred years, the majority of people would have had at least some knowledge, if not much more, of basic, what we'd maybe call survival skills and they'd have known as everyday skills. What have we become? Weaker for one, less robust or hardy, less adaptable and more reliant than independent. We've, on mass, forgotten who and what we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment