Sunday, 12 August 2012

Clavell Tower

No longer the shady ruin which stood close to the edge of Hen Cliff, overlooking Kimmeridge Bay, the repositioned and restored Clavell Tower is born again. Originally built in 1830, used for picnics, courting couples and as a coastguard lookout, Clavell Tower fell out of use and into the slow decline leading to dereliction after the First World War. As time went by the towers condition worsened as did the stability of the cliff on which it stood. In 2006 the remains of the tower (16,272 stones) were dismantled and along with 298 new carved stones was rebuilt 25m inland; securing the towers future for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment