Saturday 12 November 2011

Reposi-tree

As I wander from trunk to trunk, focused on my quest, my mind too begins to wander. Trees are repositories, storing emotional history; if only they could talk, if only we would listen. Ocknell woods experienced floods of emotion during its nearly 250 years (enclosed 1768); in the last century alone I can site three periods of intense human use. Throughout, the woodland would have absorbed sadness and fear during the war years with Stony Cross Airfield, hope as the former airfield was used to house homeless families through the immediate post war years and the joy experienced by all those thousands who've enjoyed holidaying on the camp site. Evidence of these periods can be seen in some lingering physical remains, but more emotively the very high clustering of graffiti found throughout the woodland. Does this graffiti in some way amplify any emotional resonance? Couple that with the trees inherent natural ability to absorb emotional energy and is that why Ocknell feels so strange, why I don't feel alone, checking over my shoulder like nowhere else, as if the woodland is teeming with unseen people? Not maybe, as I've written before that Ocknell has a foreboding aura, but an emotionally intense one.

No comments:

Post a Comment