Thursday 28 April 2011

Fletchers Water cleared

Where Fletchers Water breaks from the shade of the enclosure of the same name it takes on the straight course of an altered waterway. The water was flanked by a dense thicket of young trees and hedgerow shrubs; was past tense, for now 9 out of every 10 tree and shrub have been removed during forest maintenance. The vista is completely altered. I must confess that in one cropped section in particular, the views are much improved. My usual reaction to such cutting would be to resent the interference and change in the forest, although I didn't feel that here; maybe it was the shock of such wholesale destruction, or that the water course was unnatural anyway, or maybe I'll return to my senses and be filled with nostalga pangs for what was.

No comments:

Post a Comment