Monday 8 March 2010

A chill wind

Although the sun shone brightly, I was right to dress prepared for winter weather. As I rose up Marrowbones Hill the sun warmed me, I even began to raise a sweat and imagined I'd overdressed for my walk; but on my arrival atop Ridley Plain it became apparent I had not. The wind, filled with eastern chill, cut across the higher plateau, scouring the land and my face; for the next 2 to 3 miles I pull the buff protecting my neck up over my nose and hunkered into the wind. The views across Akercome Bottom are glorious.  I'm passing, archaeology, a barrow from the Bronze age, years ago robbed out; past World War Two features, their purpose as yet unknown and then on into the dappled shade of Roe Enclosure.  The forest has many faces, all different, many striking in their beauty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment