Sunday 7 February 2010

Todd

A Wizard, A True Star.


I've never been to the Hammersmith Apollo, venue of legend, of famed performances; it's old and the atmosphere feels intimate, compared to modern faceless venues, more people hangers than places to enjoy performances. I took my place, nice seat, great view and I waited; who was 'Todds Johnson' the support and would the show live up to my expectations; what was there to doubt! Todd was his own support; playing tunes by Robert Johnson, legendary R&B fellow; the set rocked and a few mishaps made it feel real and intimate.

Then the main event, Todds 'A Wizard, A True Star', in full, never toured before! The band, all bedecked in white tuxedos, Kasim Sulton, Prairie Prince and Jesse Gress were augmented by two keyboard players and a saxophonist; Todd appeared in a spacesuit for the opening number, it was to be one of several costume changes. What a buzz, I never imagined I'd ever witness the spectacle unfolding in front of me, one of my favourite albums,  released in 1973, my favourite artist, top shelf.  The band and Todd performed beyond anything I could have hoped for, lavishing us with musical gold; each member excelling, the sax player, the drums, the keyboards, bass and guitar, all giving a sublime rendition of well crafted tracks, and appearing to enjoy it.  All to soon it was nearing the end.  The band returned to the stage for the last track, 'just one victory', a track I have frequently drawn strength from; out of this world and to top it off, to top it off.....I ended up with Todds plectrum, thrown into the crowd.  Top night, special night; still smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment