Wednesday 11 November 2009

Ex 'CEP' tional


Who'd have thought it, whilst out walking today I stumbled across a small stand of about two dozen pines lying just outside one of the large plantation enclosures; the floor was mossy grass and was home to a wide range of mushrooms growing amongst the detritus of broken branch and twig which littered the floor. To my surprise as I looked down, there, amongst the weird and wonderful parade of fungi were Ceps! About 400g or so I reckon and signs of plenty more gone over. I'd of never thought of looking there or anywhere like there. Just goes to show that nature isn't always definites and you'll find things in the most unlikely of places. Didn't pick any of them though, thought about it, although if I had it would have been out of greed rather than necessity or genuine desire; I've had a really good year and have eaten my fill of Ceps more frequently than any year previously. I hadn't come equipped to pick either, I hadn't brought a bag, so any mushrooms I had picked would have been carried in some make shift way, which from experience would have led to calamity and ended in a badly bashed, smashed and wholly inedible mess; that would have been a all round waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment