Thursday 18 October 2018

Agaric world

Probably the most recognizable mushroom in the woods, the classic fairy tale toadstool that is the Fly Agaric (Amanita muscaria). Famed in fables and Viking tales, the psychedelic origins of everything Christmas and muse for Arthur Browns 'Fire', the Fly Agaric always represented the danger in the woods. Listed as poisonous it's apparently more complexed than that, it is poisonous and can be nasty, it has psychoactive properties and is used by shaman and recreationally, when detoxified it's edible, with some mycologists suggesting it should be listed as edible with instructions as to how to detoxify it.  Still, I'm not that hungry, and wouldn't suggest it. There's no doubt though they're a beautiful sight, and more so when seen on mass. In a corner of Burley New Enclosure, amongst a Birch wood, I spied well over 200 Fly Agarics in various stages. Stunning. You see Fly Agarics every year, and some years are good years, though never have I seen so many as this year, and never have I seen as many as were in this wood, and I know I didn't see them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment