Wednesday 4 July 2018

Mast

The Beech mast is looking the best I've seen it in years, no, the  best I remember, actually. The boughs are weighed down with large fruits, and lots of them too, whole trees festooned with them. Notably, I observed that for the most part the Oaks in forest are nearly all void of acorns, or if the acorns are there they are very small. I wonder if there's some connection, a good year for one is a bad year for another. I know there are patterns out there, I see glimpses of them, what's really needed is to join all the dots up in the hope of creating a more complete picture. Something else noticeable is the proliferation of tiny sampling Oaks about the forest, wonderful to see, although I have to wonder how many will survive. Still. Aren't trees amazing. With the mast looking so good this season, I suppose I should be thinking about what could be done with them. I know they're edible and have been crushed to produce oil, though that sounds bloody laborious, they're only small and a bugger to process...or, it could be I just don't know the right method. I may to look into that. Or, a pesto type thing maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment