Thursday 8 January 2015

The Sun went down with a bang.

As sunset approached I took up a position on the edge of the woods with good views out over the rolling scenery of the Chase. It had been quiet all day, although now it's notably quieter and the land has taken on an eerie stillness. Strange. There was an unusual atmosphere, you could feel it. Still, it was developing into a rich sunset and I became lost in it. It had been 20 minutes in the making, but now the Sun was about to disappear. Suddenly there's an explosion, or thud or tremor, or something, I don't hear it, I feel it rush up through me with a jolt, whatever it was that happened, happened directly below me. It shocked me and I jump. I've adopted a threatened pose, slightly crouched, arms out to my side. I feel uneasy, for a second dislocated. I look around expectantly, waiting for more or for something, but nothing happens. Just the stillness. I turn towards the horizon and the sun's now gone, disappeared below the hills, though the sky's still beautifully illuminated.  Whatever happened, happened just as the Sun set. Had I imagined it? I doubt myself without reason. It happened alright, and it was weird. The feelings of unease stayed with me and I feel a strong desire to leave this place, to move on. I feel intimidated and a bit unsteady. Anyway, no time to dither, twilight is fading and I've still half a mile or so of woodland to navigate.

No comments:

Post a Comment