Sunday 3 December 2023

Rucking

 
Sunday walks have become my weekly ruck. I regularly carry a pack on our longer walks, though it's often near empty, however recently I've begun slowly upping the loads I'm carrying. I quite liked the idea of rucking, it looked to have health and fitness benefits, and I saw it had another application too. Through rucking my aim is that by spring I'll be used to carrying a full pack equipped for a couple a days wild camp. Many rucking videos advocate weighting your rucksack, I don't like that idea. I'd always rather be carrying actual gear. There are different schools of packing too, weight at the top or bottom, I'm currently packing heaviest items at the top. And then there's do you use the chest straps and waist belt, either, neither or both. Depends. You can over think anything. I'm using my Karrimor SF Predator 45ltr patrol pack. Every couple of weeks I'll add things, and once I've filled the main pack I've got two side pouches to add too, until I'm camping pack ready. I'd like to get out wild camping again next year, even if it's simply overnighters out in the woods. I've missed not camping. Camping is an activity I've engaged in and enjoyed since childhood. I remember my first under canvas camp was with the Cubs at Wilverely in the Forest, followed by innumerable camps with the cadets and friends throughout my teens, and it's a love that's continued through adulthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment