Wednesday 14 December 2022

Oh happy day

 
Have you ever had a much loved/listen to album that's either given up the ghost or disappeared? I'm sure you have, it's a bummer. Back in the mid 80's a friend did me a recording of an album someone had done him a recording of (as was the way of the times), proggy as f*ck, I loved it, and it became a regular listen. Over the years the tape, as tapes often do, degraded until it became unplayable. The cassette just had 'Gandalf' scribbled on it; I'd always thought Gandalf had been the name of a band, and searched for it as such, always coming up with either a 60's American psyche rock band or on later searches a Finnish death metal band; I'd also searched 'Gandalf' as album title, again no joy. Roll on the years, whilst yoga-ing this morning listening to 'Veterans of the psych wars' a favourite Youtube channel, my ears pricked, I looked up from downward dog and to my surprise saw 'Gandalf', another album but certainly drawn from the same well. My mistake was it turns out Gandalf wasn't the name of a band, nor of an album, but rather the pseudonym of Austrian musician/composer Heinz Strobl. Who'd have thought! Short of it is, I've found a much loved and thought lost album, along with a whole library by the same artist. Oh happy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment