Saturday 26 November 2022

Old road

I enjoy walking along this old section of road, I like seeing the views once common, though now invisible; to the road users that is. I think it's the archaeologist in me. I enjoy exploring the phenomenology of how people experience/would have experienced landscapes, be they ancient or less so; the difference in aspect between the old and new road courses in this case. This is a 500m or so former length of the A35 sweeping down Markway Hill; the new course of the road now running through a cutting a couple of dozen meters to the left of this photo, the former over the brow of the hill with expansive views across the forest...how different the forest looks from the old course. I don't know when exactly (I'm imaging the 60's/70's) or why the road was changed, though I'd imagine it was a combination of the sweeping corner in front and the blind summit behind me; still, this section of old road is remains replete with stone curbing, residual metalling and even the occasional cats eye. I'm amazed sometimes at the mundane things that interest me, but they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment