Friday 15 July 2022

Joan Russell

As I made my way up Bidcombe Hill I noticed what looked from a distance like remnants of a military structure or some such; I was mistaken though, it's a substantial block of shaped quarried stone. Facing the rising sun on the cleanly finished east facing surface is inscribed 'Joan Russell 1927 - 2003' underneath which 'Bernard Russell 1924 - 2011'. I had no idea who Joan and Bernard where, and after searching the internet I still don't; the block is on a list of public art as a 'Memorial and sculpture', although no further information is included; it's recorded on other sites such as Geograph too, although again, no detail is included. A mystery memorial it is then. Nice spot though, and I'd bet a lovely place to watch the sunrise.

No comments:

Post a Comment