Monday 21 February 2022

Heather hideout

It was windy out in the forest again this morning, cold too, especially up on the exposed central plains. Crossing Handy Cross Plain we took the opportunity to escape the winds and rest for a moment in a small gravel pit long recolonised by heathland flora; much of the year it's bottom partially filled with water; often we'll stop here so Geoff can clean off or have a drink. The heather on Handy Cross Plain is well established, deep and thick, and when nestled into makes an effective windbreak and insulator, quiet too; I was surprised how comfortable it felt tucked up in nature; wonderful stuff heather, versatile too, with a wealth of uses. At first Geoff wasn't sure what I was up to, though when he realised I'd settled in, soon nuzzled in next to me in my heather hideout.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment