Saturday 18 July 2020

Meadow Sweet

Covid, it's associated effects and consequences on aspects across society served to accelerate my already reawakened interest into the medical attributes of wild plants. Wild plants, and particularly herbalism, was something a group of friends and I were right into back in the late 80's early 90's; later it became the focus of my under graduate dissertation whilst studying for my degree. I never really abandoned my interest, although life and stuff pushed it to the periphery, only coming into play here and there, or when asked advice about herbal remedies. Over the last couple of years it returned to the fore with the potential social degradation and shortages threatened by a brexit; it was one thread of my preparation efforts.  I know, I sound like a loon, though I'm not (of course, that's what a loon would say). Though, I think there's growing evidence to suggest that our society and it's structures are buckling under an unprecedented combination of coalescing and possibly insurmountable problems; the climate crisis, an resurgence of  populist politicians too inept to govern (maybe purposely) and late stage capitalism's 24/7 imperative to consume ever decreasing and finite resources.  In the light of these potential and maybe existential risks I've been polishing up my survivalist skills, such as they are, just in case, in the hope they'd be of some use.   

So, in light of the above, #1 in my occasional and proposed ongoing overview of useful plants I give you......Meadowsweet (Filipendula ulmaria). Meadowsweet is commonly found in damp areas all over Britain, in reality you'll often find it growing in the most niche of damp spots. It stands one to two meters tall, with a reddy stem, dark green leaves and incredibly tight clusters of abundant creamy-white strong sweet smelling flowers. As with so many wild plants it has myriad uses: Medicinally, the aids digestion, helpful in healing ulcers, treating heartburn, hyper-acidity, gastritis, and diarrhoea. It contains salicylic acid and so has excellent anti-inflammatory properties making it suitable for treating rheumatism, and unlike other sources of salicylic acid is gentle on the stomach. Meadowsweet also has immuno-modulatory properties, it's used to treat infections, chest complains such as bronchitis, fevers and colds. The parts used are the leaves and flowers, usually in tea form. Kitchen, traditionally meadowsweet  has been used to flavour beers, wines, meads and vinegars, the flowers added to jams and stewed fruits imbue a subtle almond flavour. Other uses, historically the whole plant was valued as a strewing herb for it's sweet smell, and a black dye can be obtained from it's roots.

No comments:

Post a Comment