Thursday 4 June 2020

Rhododendron

Exotic and delicate, the flowers of Rhododendrons (Rhododendron ponticum)  create quite a colourful spectacle amongst our native woodland, really rather beautiful, they definitely stand out. I imagine that's why they originally grew popular for the gardens of country estates and parks, and why their  popularity continues today.  Sadly though, I'm bound to cut them down whenever I have the opportunity (in the wild, not in peoples gardens I hasten to add). They're non native and invasive, having been introduced in the 18th century from China (although in recent years there's been the suggestion British ones originated in the Mediterranean), and pose an extreme threat to both our natural flora and fauna. With no threats, few pests or diseases and being prolific reproducers Rhododendrons can rapidly colonize and dominate, their leaves create dense cover blocking out the sun, nothing grows under their canopy, little lives in it and their liking of acid soils means they thrive around here. When I stumble upon them in flower though they stir mixed emotions, initially I think wow nice show, though almost immediately I know they really need to go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment