Wednesday 1 May 2019

Beltaine on the Tor

The wheel has turned (as if it ever stops) and we find ourselves at a pivotal point in its rotation, and the greater sabbat which I love the most...Beltane. It's become a pilgrimage for me to travel through the night to Glastonbury Tor in order to watch the sun's rising. I was talking to Arch-druid Rollo atop the Tor, remarking that this year was somewhat of an anniversary for me, it's 30 years since I stood in a circle participating in a druid open ceremony, and it was with Rollo leading it. That was at Stonehenge, significant in itself, as it was at the Stonehenge Free Festival in 1984, whilst feeling unusual *winks* and listening to Hawkwind's magical sounds, that I watched white robed Druids amongst the stones, a door opened, and I became aware of a path I needed to explore.  In 1990 I first stood up here on the Tor to watch Bel rise at the festival in his honour, it was a time of awakening in paganism and the small hilltop was thronged with all-sorts of folk enjoying the experience of celebrating the changing season together, many for the first time. I've not looked back, and other than 2 years (the foot and mouth closure, and illness), I've climbed the tor side in all weathers, though always with a smile. Here, high above the misty vale of Avalon, you can't help but feel the magic, and on a properly misty morning it's easy to imagine how magical this isle must have been when the surrounding lowland was an inland sea and wetland (draining began during the Roman period). This morning the sun's rising was mostly masked by our old friend cloud, though we were gifted a glimpse of Bel's glory, to the joy of those gathered (it's that little orange dot peeking through).  Beltane blessing to y'all, I hope the seeds of your dreams and desires sowed at this time, fall on fertile ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment