Tuesday 15 May 2018

Quacky Racers

Ober Water, below Markway Bridge, was in the early tranche of forest streams restored under the wetland restoration program, 15 or so years later you wouldn't know (unless you knew, I have photos of the old stream taken in the mid 90's, now historical records) that the stream had once flowed 50 meters east. Now greatly narrowed it bursts with life and vigour, wetland has developed on its environs and diversity has exploded, that's not to say that the area wasn't rich in flora and fauna before remodeling, it was, that richness was augmented by the restoration of the wetland elements removed by Victorian forestry. As I walked I disturbed a family of ducklings, who took to their heels, grouped with mother and made off at haste, firstly along the stream, then off into the wetland where they knew most predators would be reluctant to follow. I'm enjoying watching the forest change as the effects of restoration beds in, I suppose I'm lucky to have frequently visited the forest throughout the last 50 years and to be able to have seen the before and after of longterm environmental projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment