Monday 2 October 2017

Hard pigs

I'd read in an article over the weekend that there were a gang of rowdy pigs roaming the Mill Lawn area attacking folk. One guy even got knocked over and bitten!  So as I was walking nearby I thought I'd seek said gang out, and see if they were as hard as people made out. They were! I didn't have search too far for them, I followed the sound of a barking dog, the sort of bark that suggests 'look what I've found', and sure enough a small hound was bothering and being bothered by a group of 5 pigs. Just as I got near, the dog buggered off and the pigs got on with snuffling. All 5 pigs were a fair size, soft fawny brown with black spots, fine examples of their breed, no doubt.  The area where they were grubbing has plenty of cover, so it was easy to sneak up quite close. They didn't notice me for a while, too busy with their searching.  The photo is taken at the moment they did notice me, and only seconds before they ran at me. As the article had suggested, they were indeed aggressive, feisty and looking for trouble. I'd equipped myself with a sturdy stick, with the intention of standing my ground and showing them I wasn't scared. Though I quickly dropped that plan in favour of running away as fast as I could. Luckily they weren't that persistent, as I'm not certain I could have out run them if they kept coming.  Man, could they move fast. Really fast! Even taking into account the dog bothering them, I'd say these were the most aggressive pigs I've come across in any pannage. Normally they're inquisitive and will come right up to you, although tentatively and would withdraw at any sudden move. Still, fun in the forest.

No comments:

Post a Comment