Wednesday 18 November 2015

Eric 44

So, what can we surmise from 'Eric 44'? Well. The nature and scaring of the graffiti would suggest that '44' is the year in which it was cut, this I think is supported by the name 'Eric', common in the period, though rare when I was a child and non existent nowadays. Also 'Eric' suggests a male. In 1944 Steamer Point was under military control as a satellite site of Christchurch Airfield and Air Defence Research Establishment (later SRDE), evidence of some of the pillboxes defending the coastline of the area can still be seen just above the inter-tidal and others long removed. So we could assume that Eric was a soldier, either regular Army or conceivably Homeguard, maybe he was in the RAF or a member of ADRE, or even USAAF maybe. Eric was quite a common American name too and the 405th Fighter Group of the USAAF was station at Christchurch in 1944 and had their headquarters at Bure Homage House which was very nearby.  So, Eric was an allied male soldier/airman station her during the Second World War.

I'm feeling an American airman/aircrew of the 405th. The style of the '44' reminds me of other American graffiti I've come across left by American throughout the forest. I wonder how right or wrong, I am.  

No comments:

Post a Comment