Thursday 13 August 2015

Oysters

A little bit of rain and the Oyster mushrooms (Pleurotus ostreatus) come out, and out in good numbers too. Commonly I find Oysters growing on Beech, I did today, but also found them on Oak today which is in my experience rarer in the forest. It's always nice to bring some foraged food home with you after a good walk. I could've easily picked a bin bag full, if so inclined, though contrary to the local media and entitled forest elites, not everyone (if anyone) picks the forest fungi clean or to excess. I've never seen these hordes of industrial pickers sweeping through the stands, they may well exist, although in near 30 years of foraging in the forest I've not seen them. Most good foragers respect nature, appreciate her bounties and collect only what they need, and maybe when appropriate more to preserve. Anyway, I harvested a couple of meals worth and was thankful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment