Saturday 7 February 2015

Worked wood

As much as I love the wilder places, and I really do, I also love to see a managed deciduous woodland. Particularly woodland managed in a traditional way, by traditional means; horses to draw the timber, all the composite parts of the tree used to their best to create numerous products on site and all that, naturally in harmony, products which otherwise would require complexed environmentally damaging processes to produce. I see them as evidence that we can life in balance with our environment, in a sustainable way. What I'd advocate is a mosaic approach with mixed areas of wild and managed sustainable environments. In my model woods would provide us with a wide range of craft and food resources if managed well, they could go toward creating more locally produced resource based economies/communities.  I see neglected woodland all over, and for the most part I love them for their wildness and embrace their re-wilding, though I am also heartened to see an increase in woodland being brought back to sustainable productivity. Balance, man, that's were the future lays, balance and community.

No comments:

Post a Comment