Saturday 13 December 2014

Stonehenge

I've been to Stonehenge many many times, I've attended rituals there many times, though this is only the second time that I can remember being amongst the mighty ancient stones at midday. Usually, the equinox and solstice rituals I attend are performed at dawn, whereas todays winter solstice ritual with the Dorset Grove was midday. The last time I was here at midday was 30 years ago at the summer solstice, when along with friends I was lucky enough to attend the last Stonehenge Free Festival; something for which I feel blessed, as it changed my life in many ways. Though, that is another story. Today the sun shone on our ritual within the stones, as it had all those years before, although this time rather than watching on at the ritual activity in wonder, I was participating. The Dorset Grove are lovely bunch of people, open and welcoming, you feel included and valued from the first time you share a circle with them. I've attended their open rituals at Knowlton for a couple of years now, always a joy, and had been invited to their Stonehenge ritual, although had never attended as English Heritage states that the wearing ritual apparel is obligatory for private group rituals and I don't usually wear robes. Kindly, Ian, Arch Druid of the Dorset Grove had gifted me a cloak after hearing that was the reason I didn't attend their Stonehenge rituals. So, off I went. The Sun shone brightly, mitigating the frosty air which hung in the hollows and scoured the open plain and a beautiful ritual was had to welcome the birth of the new Sun and the promised return of longer days. There was ritual, music, poetry, new initiates, blessings, meditation, shamanism and humour; what more could you want. Ian and the other grove members approach to modern Druidism and it's relationship to the druids of old is honest and refreshing. We make it up as we go along, he said. And that doesn't really matter, I'm happy with that, it should be a reenactment, it should be real and relevant to the now.  I feel it's the intent that is important and the continuity. That folk have celebrated, venerated or marked the seasons since the dawn of humanity, all in different ways, all calling on different deities, in groups and alone, though all understanding their shared and equal connection with all other life on our flying rock. A top day with good folk. Thank you Dorset Grove.

No comments:

Post a Comment