Tuesday 6 May 2014

Norden Woods

Long before I can see them or the wood their home, the strong smell of garlic as I approach Norden Wood tells me that the wild garlic there are know in full bloom. Never a disappointment in May, Nordon Wood is carpeted in fresh white star like flowers on a deep bed of rich green; this carpet extends well up the sides of the hill of which the wood partially covers. I pick a couple or so of the flower heads and eat them, the flavour is strong and hot, but not off putting and I eat a few more. It's good to be reminded of how pungent and strong they are, a mistake I made last year was to use far too much wild garlic in a soup and render it virtually impossible to eat. It's early evening and as the Sun slowly lengthens the shadows, golden light streams through the stands, from the open fields beyond the wood Deer spy our passing, whilst all about is alive with evening bird song; nature in full effect. Just to stand awhile amongst such beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment