Tuesday 22 October 2013

Return of the pigs

Our friends the pigs were about in the woods again today and again they charged towards us, although there was no river to escape them this time and so we had to hold our ground. They all but ignored Norris, although the 2 young saddlebacks snorted around my boots and legs, attempting to taste my bootlaces and trousers, but were easily shooed off.  After which, they followed us about the forest like dogs, if we got ahead of them whilst they foraged, they'd charge after us to catch up. As we began our walk back, they were still following us and I became concerned that they were wandering away from their normal roam. So, skulking off through the trees, I thought we'd lost them, shortly there after they trotted out of the shrub. Then we ran off, through dense gorse, across wet ground, jumping several small rivulets and into thick woodland; thinking we must have given them the slip we slowed our pace.  No, they found us. This went on for half an hour or so, and I was becoming increasing worried for them as I knew where we were heading was not safe for them and they could access the A35, which would be disastrous.  In a last ditch attempt we took the underpass, which I knew would be flooded and may effect a deterrent to our pig friends; it worked, we got wet wading but the pigs, with much snorting, turned back.  I was relieved, although I'd enjoyed their company and will hopefully seek them out again during this pannage season.

No comments:

Post a Comment