Thursday 20 June 2013

Follow the red brick road

Being the study of past human individual, communities and societies, archaeology starts yesterday. I've lived or passed through my area for well over 20 years and throughout that time walked a path across our common. I'd noticed the odd brick or concrete piece or dump of building rubble, often used to fill holes in said path and thought little of it. But dig a little deeper and it's amazing what you'll find; this red brick path for example. It's been covered as long as I can remember, I've never seen it.  On examination it extends for some distance in both directions.  Who built it, when and how did it fallout of use and become forgotten? The path is well used and in wet conditions often impassable, when a raised brick path would be a boon. Funny, it's the same questions I'd ask of a site hundreds or thousands of years old, archaeologies great :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment